Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Lemon Drizzle Cake

I was reading the London papers online, as I am wont to do, when I came across this easy recipe for Lemon Drizzle Cake in an article about what to bake for school fêtes (man, that's a word I haven't come across since reading all of those old Agatha Christies!).

Anyway, as much as I really lurve chocolate, the summer heat really makes me yearn for something light and lemony. Romano's Macaroni Grill has a killer lemon cake called Lemon Passion ($4.99)(here's "Jacqueline's Version"), but you can make this simple recipe without such a big production -- and you can even do it as cupcakes. Let's bake!

Lemon Drizzle Cake

This recipe, from Mrs S. Parfit, is fabulously simple. It also works well baked in muffin cases, in which it only needs about 15 minutes at 200C/400F/gas mark 6.

4oz/110g soft butter
6oz/170g self-rising flour
6oz/170g sugar
4 T milk
Grated rind of a large lemon
2 eggs

For the syrup:
3 T confectioners sugar
Juice of a lemon

Preheat the oven to 160C/350F/gas mark 4. Line a 2lb loaf tin or 6-7in (15-18cm ) cake tin with baking parchment. Beat the cake ingredients together until smooth, then scrape the mix into the tin. Bake for about an hour, covering the cake after 40 minutes if it gets too dark.

Mix the syrup ingredients together. While the cake is still warm, prick it all over with a skewer or fork. Pour over the syrup. Leave it to cool in the tin before serving.

From Readers' recipes, the [U.K.] Telegraph, 3/6/2006.

4 Comments:

Blogger Garrett said...

Gurl, you want some good desserts? Go to Borders and get "The Essential Dessert Cookbook" In fact buy the whole "Essential" series, they rock. Lots of pics, instructions, even an ingredients, tool, and technique quide in the front of each one! I have Dessert, Wok, Asian, and Seafood.
(On that note I should write a review on these...)
Oh, you also made em want to read "Heat"

10:41 AM  
Blogger Garrett said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Mary Twiss Connolly said...

Mmmmm, FAAAAAABULOUS!

2:19 AM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Just to let you know, I am the "Jacqueline" who developed the Lemon Passion recipe; it's a clone of the real thing. The Lemon Drizzle Cake you posted cannot even come close. I appreciate that you linked to ( www.recipe-quest.com ) my message boards, I found you today when doing a google of the recipe to see who was taking credit for my work and found one. Am curious how you came across my recipe?

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home