Thursday, August 31, 2006

What’s Next for Mr. Next

I really love reading The New Yorker, but the only time I can remember actually finishing one before the next issue arrived was when I belonged to the Y and went there to work out 3-5 days a week. The recumbent bicycle I coveted had a great acrylic bookholder which slipped over the control panel, so I could read as I pedalled and, man, did I pedal a lot back then! I try to remember to check the NYer website every week now that I no longer have a subscription and this week discovered this: What’s Next for Mr. Next by Blake Eskin (September 4, 2006), an interview with Bill Jones, the line director at Whole Foods in Chelsea, who was the disembodied booming voice directing shoppers to the next available cash register. I mean, who knew! And now he has found himself replaced by a machine. The horror. The horror.

Read also Ian Parker's original Talk of the Town column about Mr. Jones titled Mr. Next (January 13, 2003).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home