Wednesday, September 06, 2006

How the other half eats


Ohhhh, I just adore reading about the hoi-polloi, especially when their servants spill the beans in tell-alls. But this one is really sad, having to do with that venerable New York society doyenne, Brooke Astor, and her physical decline. According to Cindy Adams of the New York Post, the "ASTOR CASE SIMMERS" and an ex-chef in Mrs. Astor's employ named Brian Calvert is shopping a manuscript called "Brooke's Cook" of which I shall only quote Cindy's editorial comment:
her steak came from Ottomanelli's, fish from Leonards, cookies from Grace's Marketplace, produce from Butterfield's Market, and she liked tomato, cucumber, Boursin cheese and smoked salmon sandwiches for tea...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, dear!

Just checking in, and noticed that I've been promoted. I've always been hoi polloi and had reconciled myself to that. In cockney-speak: "O, 'at's not good enuf for va loiks 'a me!"

Hoi polloi in ancient Greek, referred to the many or the masses - the rabble. So your readers just need to do a through-the-looking-glass adjustment to get the real feel of your posting. And finally, here's my favorite unofficial source for everything these days as we rearrange and regurge info: Wiki-truth!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoi_polloi

XXX

Nina

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOPS, I meant

"'At's TOO good for va loiks 'a me".

I went through a looking glass myself!

OK, back down the rabbit hole.

Nina

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home