Friday, September 22, 2006

A question of rye, part 2

Hon,

I bought my last bag of rye flour at Keller's IGA -- but we all know that kitchen goddess Marilyn Harris shops there when she's not shilling for Bigg's!

I would suggest a visit to a natural/health food store where you can buy as much or as little as you need. Remember if you buy a whole bag, you can use some of the leftovers for a Chez Panisse pizza dough (see, I remember how much you love making freeform pizzas using your pizza stone)! Or, if you are as inspired as I was last December, you can make a french "pain d'épice"--their version of gingerbread, but made with honey and rye flour. It was amazingly good and can keep, tightly wrapped, in the fridge for weeks...

P.S. My recipe for pain d'épice came from a FABulous cookbook called The Breads of France (1978) by Indiana francophile, Bernard Clayton, Jr. This, however, did not stop someone from changing some very minor details and including his recipe in Chez Panisse Desserts (1994)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home