Monday, November 27, 2006

Ruthie in Disguise

My friend Ramundo recently sent me his copy of Ruth Reichl's memoir, Garlic and Sapphires, The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise, which I finally started reading last night. For me, reading much of anything anymore, aside from something at the computer, usually takes place in bed and that my bed is "shared" with the lovely and charming Princess Kitty Girl Boo. The Princess is a sweet, but somewhat elderly, little purrball with attachment issues, having found herself alone and forlorn in a large house two times in our three year relationship, due to my hospital stays. Understandably, she follows me around and gravitates to sitting in my lap at the computer or taking her rightful place, curled up on my stomach, when I get into bed. This position makes it a particular challenge in which to read much of anything, but yesterday afternoon I was determined to stick my nose in this book and make some real headway. Once settled, I enjoyed Ruth's adventures assuming and creating her different characters, especially morphing into her late mother Miriam and building the breathy Chloe from the ground up. As one who was seriously (albeit temporarily) into changing my own character through using wigs some years ago (from Edina from AbFab to Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction), I loved the scene with the wig lady in midtown who determinedly pawed through drawer after drawer until finding just the right transcendently blonde wig to transform Ruth into Chloe. If my Princess cooperates, maybe tonight will be the night I get to trail after Ruth on her next adventures.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Barry said...

Very nice...I'm scared of cats but this one seems too sweet to fear...glad ya got her with ya...how are ya these days? Good, I hope. HUGS

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home