Wednesday, November 08, 2006

THANKSGIVING: Re-Inventing Cranberry Sauce


Patrick O’Connell of the dreamy hideaway, The Inn at Little Washington, provides us with his 21st century take on that old family favorite, cranberry sauce, with our favorite spice of the season (ginger!), in this month's issue of Washingtonian Magazine. And, just for good measure, pastry chef David Guas, of D.C. restos Ceiba, DC Coast, TenPenh, Acadiana, recalls a long ago childhood Cuban treat: Salty Pineapple!

Cranberry-Ginger Chutney
In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine 1 cup fresh cranberries, 1 peeled and finely chopped small onion, 2 peeled and chopped pears , 2 minced jalepeno peppers (seeds removed), ½ cup cranberry juice, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, juice of ½ lemon, ¾ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons grated ginger, and salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer for 45 minutes or until berries are tender. Let cool before serving.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Barry said...

This sounds awesome! We will be trying this one...thanks my friend..how are ya?

3:20 PM  
Blogger Willa Frank said...

dear lynnie,

it sounds great to me, too! somewhere i also have a recipe for bourbon cranberry sauce. also, yum! :-)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Sean Carter said...

This sounds so delicious....I'll be definitely it out this year. Thanks my friends for sharing such a wonderful recipe. And hey you can also find a lot more interesting stuffs on Thanksgiving over at my
Thanksgiving Blog. So visit soon and find out whatever you need. Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!

12:25 AM  
Blogger Willa Frank said...

Thanks, Sean. I plan to visit soon. glad you're in the pro-cranberry chutney camp!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Glorioski! Ginger and cranberry- a fantastic combo.

I admit I'm rather ashamed of myself, though- you scooped me on the Washingtonian tidbit. Gotta step up my game here!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Willa Frank said...

dear liz,

aw, shucks. that patrick o'connell scoop was purely by accident. i was really looking for some good info about xando on dupont circle before it became /cosi!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home